Friday, December 16, 2016

Blog Reboot, Now With More Books

It's been 2 years since I last posted anything on this blog. I didn't think I'd ever start here again, but the time has come for that to change. I have decided to get more intentional about my reading and I want a place to keep my thoughts organized. I don't know if anyone else will read any of it, but even if that is the case, writing it for me and being able to refer back is exactly what I need right now.

I've gotten into two bad reading habits. One is starting many books, but finishing few. I was already someone who always had 6-10 books on the go at any given moment, ever since I was a child. Now I am a grown up and I have three kids who are all old enough to be listening to me read or buddy reading novels of many lengths, so I have their books "on the go" as well. It's become a logistical nightmare and I can't help but think we may have started books that we like, but we've totally forgotten about them because we have so many on the go. I want to come up with a more reasonable number of books to be reading at any given time, so that we get to enjoy all of the books we want to enjoy.

The second habit is even worse though. I have gotten into a rut of reading the next thing, whatever that is. I am reading things I don't even like, just because it was recommended to me somewhere. I want to break that habit and make sure I am asking myself if I really am interested in the book at all before I begin. I also will be working on giving myself permission to abandon books more freely if they aren't my thing after I start them.

A few years ago I did a bunch of reading challenges and it was a great year of reading. I am going to do several of them again this year, since I know I will read a lot of books either way, but doing the challenges gives a sense of community doing them with other readers. Plus some of them have prizes and that's cool too! ;)

That's the plan. Read. Read some more. Maybe some reviews. Challenges with the online reading community. Read even more. Starting January 1st it's go time. Read all the books!

No comments:

Post a Comment