Sunday, September 22, 2013

2013 Books in Review #10: There's No Home


I read There's No Home as part of the Literature and War Challenge. It was not available through the library so I purchased an ebook copy and read it on the Kindle app on my phone.
There's No Home follows the story of soldiers living in a country that is not their own, and the people of the village who normally live there. There are no active battles being fought during most of the time that the book takes place, and it is mainly a story of relationships during wartime. Relationships between the soldiers, relationships between the people of the village who were left behind when the fighting started and remained alive as it continued, and relationships between the soliders and the villagers.
It was an interesting read for me as I have heard war time stories from family members before and it was a common thread. The relationships made are real, but woven out of a thread that sometimes must be broken as new orders come in and things change. I very much enjoyed the book even though some parts were emotionally difficult. I am glad I own it so I can return to it in the future if I want.
This was my 51st book of the year, and my 4th selection in the Literature and War Challenge.

No comments:

Post a Comment