Sunday, January 1, 2017

Newbery Reading Challenge 2017



As soon as I saw this challenge I knew I'd sign up. There are so many Newbery and Caldecott books that I love, and many many more that I've never gotten the chance to explore yet. With a 10 year old, an almost 8 year old and a 6 year old in the house I am planning on choosing books from the list that I can enjoy with them. Anyone that reads this and wants to join us can do so by signing up here.

Here are the rules:
Each book you read is worth points. You get:
  • 3 points for a Newbery Medal Winner
  • 2 points for a Newbery Honor Book
  • 1 point for a Caldecott Book (Both Medal winners and Honor books are worth a point this year!)

In addition to that, you pick a level to aim for:
  • L'Engle: 15 - 29 points
  • Spinelli: 30 - 44 points
  • Avi: 45 - 59 points
  • Lowry: 60 - 74 points
  • Konigsburg: 75+ points

We are going to aim for L'Engle to start, but I aim hoping once we get on a roll we may go higher. Our planned list of reads so far is:
  1. From the Mixed-Up Files of Mrs. Basil E. Frankweiler by E. L. Konigsburg
  2. Ginger Pye by Eleanor Estes
  3. Julie of the Wolves by Jean Craighead George
  4. Mrs. Frisby and the Rats of NIMH by Robert C. O'Brien
  5. A Wrinkle in Time by Madeleine L'Engle
That will get us to 15 points, and from there... we shall see!

No comments:

Post a Comment