Sunday, January 1, 2017

Literature and War Readalong 2017

I participated in this challenge in 2013 and it was a really positive experience for me so I knew I wanted to do it again this year. It's hosted over at Beauty is a Sleeping Cat. For 2017 there are 10 books to be read over the year as follows:

Now to my book choices. As you will see, with one exception, they are all focussing on WWII. I always strive for diversity and this year is no exception. There are books from five different countries on the list. Every year I include American novels, this year, to make a statement, I chose two Native American writers. Three of the other novels are French, one is Czech, and one German. May’s choice(s) are special because, for the first time, I decided to include poems. We will be reading and discussing British war poems. Some from poets who wrote during WWI, some from contemporary poets like Vanessa Gebbie and Caroline Davies. I’d like to thank Caroline for suggesting I include poems.

January kicks off with House Made of Dawn by N. Scott Momaday, 208 pages, US 1966, WWII.  On January 31st there will be a discussion post over at Beauty is a Sleeping Cat. Join us :)

No comments:

Post a Comment